Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Take A Hike! Part 1

Yesterday, after lunch, the kids and I took a hike down to the lake.
It had been awhile since we had all been down there together...and it's always an adventure!

March2011 080

On the way, we stopped at the edge of a pond that borders our property and picked up freshwater shells.
I think these beautiful creations so fascinating and take great satisfaction in knowing that the children enjoy these wonderful finds also!

Gimpy-leg Dog is a Ham

Before we get to the woods and ravine that lead down to the lake, there is a low area with an outcropping of rock. This is such an interesting place as we often observe a wide variety of animal tracks in the dirt here.
We enter the woods and the kids always make me nervous by walking right up to the edge of the steepest part of the ravine! I have the girls pose beside it and then we walk further along until we get to the place that we can climb down in it.
The ravine is one of my favorite places here at Forty Acre Farm. Many times I come here by myself, my only companions, the dogs.
When it is windy, and it often is here in Oklahoma, I climb down here and walk along the stream bed...quiet, all exept for the wind up in the tops of the trees. But here, sheltered down below there is always a hush, and a wonderful smell of fresh earth...and the faint gurgling of water as it finds its way to the lake...which is just beyond the ravine.

March2011 135

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Wonderful! Thanks, Julie...I felt like I was on the hike, too. How wonderful you're able to be out and not slogging through snow. And what a blessing for your children to be growing up with the 'wilds' about them! :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing the greening-up of your 40 acres.

By the way, love your new spring header!

Blessings,
Wendy

Brownie said...

OH it's so nice to see ground with no snow! It looks so nice I can almost smell the spring.

We're still walking on top of snow here. Twice this week I had to have my friend blow out my driveway.

For some reason I thought you were in Wisconsin :(

none said...

"But here, sheltered down below there is always a hush, and a wonderful smell of fresh earth...and the faint gurgling of water as it finds its way to the lake...which is just beyond the ravine."
~The whole post is beautifully done, but these lines really stood out to me. I also love the hush and the smells of nature... Looks like a delightful time. I also agree that it's great that your children are able to explore nature with you. I think our world needs more of this! :)

Sally said...

I love your place. I am praying God gives us a place just like yours when we get to MN. :)

Jennifer Hoots said...

Fantastic place you have there! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Holly said...

Hi Julie! It's Holly from HSB. I'm so excited to have found you again...I've missed your posts. Gorgeous photos & great post! Holly

CrossView said...

I LOVE adventure hikes! But you have such a diversity of terrain that I'm jealous! We have no prairie - just woods and streams.

Franbles said...

We've been trying to get out and about more. I love streams and was delighted to find one last week not too far from us.
Hope the history fair has gone well!
God bless you!
Sarah